Quite often, people are faced with the fact that an air compressor with only one receiver begins to lose performance. In this case, it is possible to connect an additional air receiver. More details on how to connect two air compressor tanks will be discussed in this article.
- 1 List of required tools
- 2 Step-by-step instruction
- 3 What should I pay attention to when connecting the air compressor tank?
- 4 Why is it necessary to connect two air compressors?
- 5 Increasing CFM performance of your entire compressed air system
- 6 Pressure drop
- 7 Air compressor system setting principle
- 8 Rules for checking the compressor for grounding
- 9 Parallel connect two air compressor
- 10 Space setup
- 11 Check the machine and make sure there are no leaks
- 12 Benefits of purchasing a new high-tech air compressor
- 13 Removing moisture from compressed air
- 14 Where is the second tank placed?
- 15 FAQ
- 16 Results
List of required tools
If you wonder how to connect two air compressor tanks, then first you should determine the list of necessary tools. The list includes the following items:
- a brass coupling that has a female thread from 3/8 to ¼ inch;
- ¼ inch brass tee;
- adhesive based on silicone;
- capacious portable receiver;
- brass coupling with thread from ½ to 3/8 inches;
- new air compressor hose.
Once all the tools are assembled, you can proceed to the main stages of the work.
Draining the compressor
Before proceeding with the analysis of the part, you need to remove water and air from the existing tank. If this is not done, corrosion will develop. Because of this, the inner walls of the tank corrode, which adversely affects the strength. This may cause an explosion.
Removing the valve guard and fixing the tee
Using an adjustable wrench, you need to remove the safety valve. Try to work carefully so that the thread remains intact. Then apply silicone-based adhesive around the side of the thread that is on the male side.
Attach the tee and secure it with a wrench. To improve the quality of work, clean the threaded end of the safety valve, and prepare it with silicone glue. Attach a valve to the end of the brass tee.
You don’t need to tighten it too much. Then attach the small air compressor hose to the end of the tee.
Prepare the air tank
You need to start setting up a new air compressor. It is necessary to remove all tools from the top, and fix the coupling. After gluing, prepare the threads ½-3/8 inch. Attach the coupler to the top of the air tank. You need to work with impact and wrenches.
Then prepare the 3/8-1/4 inch screw using glue. Attach the air compressor hose to the new reducer on the air tank.
Filling the air tank with air
You need to set the dial closer to the closed point. This prevents air from entering the hose. The movement of air passes through a tee made of brass. Turn on the device to check if it works.
Get busy installing the PSI on the new air tank capacity and let it fill up. Once this happens, you can set the dial to the point to open. Thanks to this, a compact and weakened unit are more powerful.
What should I pay attention to when connecting the air compressor tank?
There are several factors to consider if you are planning to pair compressors.
The first thing to pay attention to is the quality of the duty circle. After all, additional problems may arise if filling two air compressor tanks takes a long time. This can happen if the air compressor is not fully cooled.
Ensure that the device operates within all duty cycle limits. There is always the possibility of reducing the ratio of stagnation and work time. To do this, an additional air tank is fixed to the compressor. This reduces the cycle time even if the pump is running for a long time.
Some manufacturers may set clear limits on uptime and downtime.
Therefore, they should be followed. If you do not follow the recommendations, the entire system, including the pump and air compressor motor, may be damaged.
If you constantly use the application, it makes no sense to connect a second tank. If you decide to add it all, you have to stop the compressor more often to fill the tank. This is fraught with damage to the entire project. You can carry out the configuration if you plan to periodically start the system.
Try to be careful, because the compressor takes much longer to fill the double tank. If the pressure falls below the set switch-on threshold, more time also is required. This is because the attached tanks have a large volume.
Why is it necessary to connect two air compressors?
The main advantage is that you can increase the volume of accumulated air. This allows the engine to run much longer between shutdowns. You can use pneumatic tools much longer.
If both air tanks fill up, the CFM will be increased.
Increasing CFM performance of your entire compressed air system
- If you tie both air compressor tanks together, you can increase the CFM of your entire compressed air system. However, connecting an additional tank allow the air compressor to cool longer, so the entire system consumes many more cubic feet every minute.
- The performance is much more than the compressor pump is capable of producing. Increasing the cooling time is very important. After all, the main purpose of the volume of air lines is to support the performance of a device running on pneumatics for much longer.
- It must be understood that connecting an additional tank only increases CFM in a compressed air system. The CFM for the air compressor pump remains unchanged. Standard air tank CFM differs significantly from pump CFM.
- If you add a second compressor tank, you can minimize the pressure inside the compressor. For example, if the duty cycle is designed for 50%, then this will not be enough for work. The rest of the device is about 4 minutes, which prevents overload.
- If you connect an additional air compressor, it produces up to 20 cubic feet every minute, even if the rating is 10 cubic feet every minute. However, a consumption of 20 cubic feet is rather short-lived.
Air compressor system setting principle
Air compressors have a huge purpose. However, this does not matter if you plan to prepare the device before use.
If you want to set up an air compressor, follow these steps:
- Read the instructions that come with the device.
- Find an air tool to pair with your compressor. It needs to be cleaned first because the parts remain slightly mobile. After that, you need to remove all the tips intended for protection.
- Select an air hose that is the correct length. It should be enough for free work on the project. In this case, you have to work with stationary compressors.
- Make sure the air hose is not kinked or damaged. It needs to install a coupling.
- Attach one side of the hose to a pneumatic air tool. Attach the other end to the compressor. Such parts may be screw-in or quick-connect, depending on the make and model of the device itself. After using a special connector and adapter, you need to connect all the details.
Almost all modern hoses, air tools, and compressors that are on the market are completed with washers and gaskets.
This prevents various leaks between the connection elements. If you decide to use inexpensive or outdated versions, additional breathability is required.
To do this, you can use PTFE tapes. Once you’re happy with the connection, start the compressor. Make sure you are using the correct rated circuit breaker. Set the pressure level so that the optimum output volume is achieved.
To do this, refer to the air compressor manual. For a pneumatic installation to work without interruption, it takes several minutes to set up. After that, you can start your car.
Practical tips for using an air compressor
As soon as you install your pneumatic power station and set it up, you can continue to use it without interruption. For people who plan to use it at home, this is enough.
If you are an experienced user or professional working with pneumatics, you have to additionally study information on the technical aspects of using an air compressor.
The principle of shutting down the air compressor
If you notice problems in the performance of the air compressor, you should check the connection to the mains, as well as the position of the emergency switch. The reason may lie in the fact that the switch burned out, or the emergency switch was activated.
Often the main problems with the electrical part include:
- Wiring short circuit. This can happen if the insulation on the wires has failed, so there is contact with bare wires.
- Open wiring. This is characterized by the disconnection of the wire.
- Wiring with grounding. This happens when a shorted wire touches the compressor housing or reservoir.
Often, old cars face such problems.
As you know, over time, wiring and insulation fail, because it wears out as a result of long operation.
However, some problems may occur with new compressors.
This happens if you made the wrong connection, or did not insulate the contacts enough when you were engaged in production processes. First, you need to conduct testing, which consists of several stages, namely:
- Be sure to unplug the compressor.
- Open the case, following the instructions that are written in the documents for the product.
- Numerous windings are located inside. You should check the performance of each of them.
- On the multimeter, you need to set the setting to ohms. Place device contacts on both sides of the windings. Check the readings on the multimeter.
Often people are trying to figure out how to diagnose indicators on a multimeter and fix it. If the wiring is open, there is infinite resistance. You need to check the connectors on both sides of the wire. There is a high probability that one of them will be weak, or completely detached.
If you notice a break during the check, it needs to be replaced. If the multimeter shows zero ohms, then the wire is in a short circuit. A complete wire replacement is required. If all indicators are missing, and the number is 2-9 ohms, then the problem lies in the ground.
Rules for checking the compressor for grounding
It is extremely important to check the compressor for grounding. To do this, you need to set the maximum resistance indicators. Place one contact of the tester on a metal tank or housing. If the design has been painted, you have to remove the paint a little to improve the quality of the contact.
The second contact should be determined at the end of the winding, and each wire should be tested separately. The infinity icon should appear on the display. If this does not happen, this indicates a short circuit to the ground. To solve the problem, check the place where the wire touches the case. Fix or replace if necessary.
Parallel connect two air compressor
Quite often people cannot understand why this is done. It must be said that this helps to improve the performance of the device. You do not have to spend money on buying a new compressor. It is enough to connect two powerful compressors if they are at home.
This is easy to do by following these instructions:
- Remove one outlet hose from the tank, and attach it to the inlet on the manifold. The second air hose must be removed from the second tank, and fixed on the back of the manifold.
- Fasten the third hose to the collector outlet, which has the shape of the letter T. After the second end, fasten it to an air tool that works on pneumatics.
- Set the required pressure on the compressor and start it.
First of all, you need to create a clean and organized space, as well as have all the necessary equipment at hand.
A few pointers:
- Make sure the air compressor is installed on a solid and level floor.
- There must be enough free space around the compressor to ensure an even airflow and to facilitate maintenance of the air compressor.
- Keep the room well-ventilated for maximum performance.
- Route electrical cables correctly to make sure they are neat and in a safe place.
- It may seem obvious, but measure spaces, hallways, and doorways before choosing a compressor to make sure it fits and is easy to carry around.
Check the machine and make sure there are no leaks
Before fully using the air compressor, run it to test it and check for possible faults such as leaks.
A few tips:
- Get a leak detector and check for leaks that could impair its performance
- Check that the valves, base, and compressor are properly connected.
- Check the pressure gauge and make sure it is close to the recommended pressure. The pressure change depending on the season and the weather.
Benefits of purchasing a new high-tech air compressor
Of course, when buying a used air compressor, there is also a brand-new one:
- Installation of a new air compressor is simplified as it comes with documentation
- New compressors are manufactured using the highest quality and most modern materials and technologies.
- The aluminum housing, belts, and screw element used in the production of new air compressors undergo extensive quality control and are of the latest design.
You benefit from the latest developments in air compression technology, allowing you to use your compressor for much longer and at a lower cost.
Removing moisture from compressed air
The purpose of an air compressor can be completely different. However, the formation of pressure is always constant, and moisture can accumulate because of this. This process is considered natural and practically does not provoke problems.
Most of the moisture is removed by a filter that is installed in the compressor.
It is possible that due to certain environmental factors, water accumulates in greater quantities. This happens if there is a source of water nearby, or the room is not airtight. This can happen when using humidifiers, or insufficient ventilation in the garage.
If you do not begin to remove moisture, this can cause additional problems, including damage to the compressor or pneumatic air tools. Compressed air can be dried in several ways:
- Drain the water from the compressor tank.
- Install an additional filter or water seal.
- Install a dehumidifier, or install a dehumidifier.
Where is the second tank placed?
It must be remembered that the second tank is installed after the first air compressor. A non-return valve is installed at the air inlet. This allows air to pass through and linger.
When it comes to the need to connect two air compressors to a tank, there are many questions to ask.
- Can you link 2 air compressors together? If you have chosen the right compressors, everything is fine. One compressor runs for a long time, and the second start only in case of a heavy load. This is a completely natural process.
- Can you add a tank to an air compressor? Adding is done with simple pneumatic tools. You need to follow the steps discussed earlier in this article.
- Can you increase CFM by adding a tank? To increase the CFM performance, you need to make changes to the system itself. You can add a compressor pump or air receiver tanks.
- What is the benefit of a dual-tank compressor? Double-air tanks are a very profitable solution. After all, they accumulate more air pressure. If you want to use your pneumatic air tool effectively, you need an air compressor. Better if there are 2.
As you can see, attaching two air compressor tanks is quite simple. If you have all the tools ready, the work takes only half an hour. It is better to look at the instructions for details in advance, this simplifies the work process.
If you need to read about how to fill paintball tank with air compressor, please read our article.